Thursday, March 4, 2010

Monumental attempt

Earlier this week I took a break from a big painting I've been working on for awhile to do a small quick one.  I've discovered that a lot of artists are doing small daily paintings and then auctioning these on ebay.  I wish I had the time to do a new painting every day, I'm sure the practice would do me good.  Instead I'll have to settle for the occasional quick painting while another is drying.  This one is my first attempt, and it looks to me like I really could use the practice!  Landscapes seem to be something I find easier to capture in pastel.  And I don't think I made it any easier on myself by choosing a scene from some place as iconic as Monument Valley.  I'm not sure if it's the lack of colors available to me (I have 100+ pastels, but only about 15 oils, most of them oil sticks), or that I am not used to working on a smaller scale (the painting is about 14x11).   I think part of it may be that I am used to working pretty loosely with oils, and haven't figured out yet how to translate that into landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment