Sunday, January 29, 2012

Along the Erie Canal in Lockport, New York

Steps to the Erie Canal, Lockport 6x6 oil, copyright 2012

Taking a brief break from pastels, I did this one just for me.  Every time I paint steps or stairs I think to myself, "Why don't I paint these more often?".  There's something meditative about the simple lines and repeating pattern.

These steps lead down to the Erie Canal in Lockport, New York, just upstream from the lock.  We couldn't go down them - they were roped off, and looked a bit crumbly.  I have no idea what purpose the tunnels serve or how deep they are, but was intrigued by the contrast with all the straight lines.  The concrete made for a rather monotonous color scheme, so I tried to make it a bit more lively by painting the ground on the board bright orange-red.  This was a quick little study and the details were not important to me, just the lines and patterns and shadows.  I have no idea if anyone else will find it interesting, but I'm happy with it.

2 comments:

  1. You can tell you enjoyed painting this. It's a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! I was talking to a friend yesterday and she also complimented me on this one. It's funny how sometimes when you create just for yourself and think that no one else would be interested, it ends up really clicking with people.

    ReplyDelete