Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Right Shoulder

Right Shoulder 14x14 pencil, copyright 2012

At the moment I'm trying to avoid having to admit that my latest pastel just isn't working and decided instead to post something that is working.  Last night was the first time I've been to Life Drawing since before the New Year and it turned out to be a much needed break.

My best effort of the night was this pencil sketch from one of the 20 minute poses.  The model had good muscle definition in his arms and shoulders, so that's where I decided to focus.

I forgot to post about the Life Drawing exhibit last month, so I will tell you here that it went well.   A lot of people (mostly artists and friends of artists) showed up for the reception.  It was enjoyable to have the time to talk with one another about technical details - things like what sort of paper everyone used, and how some of us seem to prefer drawing backs and some prefer drawing heads, and pencil verses charcoal.  Hopefully we'll be able to do it again sometime.

3 comments:

  1. That's a good shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have this strange fascination with the collarbone and the wonderful shadows it and the attaching tendons and muscles create. It's a bit trickier than some other places on the body, though not as complicated as the face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice drawing of the shoulder. I miss life-classes.

    ReplyDelete