Friday, January 4, 2013

Getting better

Chateau Eze 9x12 pastel, copyright 2013

Over the holidays I was reminded that several photo albums borrowed from my parents three years ago had not yet been returned.  Before giving them back I decided to see just how far I had come since 2010, painting a photograph for a second time.  Above is the painting finished just this morning, below is the one painted three years ago.

Chateau Eze 12x16 pastel, copyright 2010

I think it's safe to say there have been improvements.  Details are no longer as important to me as light and shadow.  Creating a sense of depth and drama has overridden the urge to "get it right".  I'm also much more confident in my ability to paint with pastels and to find my own voice.   This exercise certainly makes me feel good about the direction I'm headed.

As a reference point, here is the photo that I was working from.

Chateau Eze by David Kuhns, copyright 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment