Thursday, July 15, 2010

New York, New York



Tomorrow morning I am headed off to the Big Apple for five days to hang out with friends, see a couple of museums and catch some scenery.  In particular I'm excited about the Piccasso exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art.  Van Gogh's Starry Night is in the collections as well.

It's been at least 15 years since my only visit, and I am expecting to find plenty of inspiration of a different sort than I find in the country.  While I love the fields and creeks that surround me every day, it is nice to  occasionally try a new challange.  A few months ago I discovered the blog of a Daily Painter named Karin Jurick who often paints New York scenes.  I admire her loose, colorful style and the way she handles light and shadow - her work has been influencing mine a bit lately.

I'll post again once I get back, hopefully with a head full of ideas.  Meanwhile, I will leave you with something I hope to see, an 18th century ship found just this week during construction at the World Trade Center site.

1 comment:

  1. Turns out the Picasso exhibit was at the Met, which I wasn't able to get to. But MoMA has a wonderful collection - certainly some of the best known examples were on display.

    The 18th century ship was not viewable, and may have been fully excavated by the time I got down to the site.

    ReplyDelete